Sadly, St Mungo’s Chief Executive Steve Douglas passed away suddenly on Sunday 8 May, 2022.
Steve Douglas, CBE, joined St Mungo’s as Chief Executive on 1 July, 2020, and had a career spanning more than 25 years in the housing sector.
Prior to joining St Mungo’s he was Group Chief Executive of Altair, a housing and regeneration consultancy group advising housing associations as well as central, regional and local government. Prior to that he held Director and Chief Executive positions in a number of housing related roles, which also included funding provision of homelessness services. He had been Chief Executive of the Housing Corporation and Corporate Director of Neighbourhoods and Regeneration for the London Borough of Hackney which included responsibilities in relation to homelessness and temporary accommodation. Steve had also been Chair of One Housing Group, who run Arlington, the homeless centre in Camden.
He led or supported many initiatives and activities including:
- First Chief Executive role at Spitalfields community based HA – based in East London
- Overseeing £8.4bn investment programme, delivering 155,000 homes whilst Chief Executive at the Housing Corporation and regulating England’s 1,500 housing associations
- Vice Chair and Board Member at Amicus Horizon and then Optivo Housing Group for nine years
- Executive Regeneration Director at LB Hackney in run up to Olympics 2012
- One of four founding Partners at Altair, the leading housing and regeneration consultancy
- Working closely with L&Q, Optivo and the BME London to set up the Leadership 2025 initiative – with the purpose of empowering senior BME professionals to become leaders of the future
- Steve was awarded a CBE in the 2019 Queen’s honours list for services to housing